Sunday, October 11, 2009

Week 2- Chapter 5-Media Literacy and Harry Potter Wars



Harry Potter prompted a dynamic cultural change. It taught its fans to do, to be creative, to be steadfast, and to effect change. Before reading this chapter and watching "We are Wizards-Trailer" I did not realize the size of the population that has been impacted by a story in a book, or a movie on a screen. What I have realized is books, movies, and television have a lot more emotional appeal (ethos) than I ever thought. Maybe that's why Chapter 5 starts off explaining how producers today are focusing more and more on "emotional capital" or "lovemarks" to ensure media success. Why is this? Why is now audience interaction, or appeal more important than ever?
I can not say there have ever been a movie or even a fictional book that has caused me to do something I would not have done, or create something I would not have otherwise created. But, if I could refer to a television show I would say that "Design on a Dime" inspired me to save money when it came to decorating. One day this summer I went to a yard sale and bought what is now my t.v. stand and end table in my room. I paid $7.00 for two pieces of furniture that I refinished and painted to match perfectly and decorated. I will admit that it was quite therapeutic and I could not be prouder of my creative project. Although my furniture may not be the same thing as creating a "Wizard Rock" genre, I believe the comparison serves a purpose. 
I have attached my creative projects for your viewing pleasure :-)

1 comment:

  1. Interesting, but it definitely points to the power to inspire in good books and even TV.

    ReplyDelete