Sunday, October 4, 2009

Week1 Reading-Intro

At first seeing the title of this book I was a little confused on how this would tie in media and technology; however, after reading the introduction I gained a greater understanding as to how "Convergence Culture" is a suitable title for this book.
I learned that no longer are the consumers and the producers seperate entities. In today's media we are working together whether we like it or not. The introduction gave an example of how a student in his bedroom made an online posting for his entertainment and within a short time span this posting became an international controversy. Today more than any other time in the past information travels faster and further than we as consumers could ever expect. As a result producers are no longer dealing with a consumer that will buy into anything they are trying to sell. We are now informed consumers through "Collective Intelligence". The author of this book could not have chosen a more adequate title. According to the book, Convergence Culture, convergence does not take place due to the evolution of appliances but, through the people and their interaction. Convergence is also defined by how consumers process the information and if they choose to participate, which causes the producers to longer be its seperate entity but, a working part of convergence engine that requires the input of the consumers to succeed.
After reading this chapter I remebered a YouTube video I saw that a friend of mine recommend me watching. While watching the YouTube video titled, "Where's the chapstick" I remember asking my friend "who even thinks to look up something this silly". I thought that this kid made this video not even realizing how quickly this video would be shared amongst people he would probably never meet. I have attached this video for you viewing pleasure. :-)

1 comment:

  1. okay, I'm glad that I sat through the video, but for the final "I need to get a life" comment. I guess this is kinda' related to Convergence Culture, but it's pretty funny. You definitely nailed it with the comment that it's not about a device but about how we integrate the different mediums.

    ReplyDelete