Sunday, October 18, 2009

Week 3 - "Rule Number 6"


I absolutely loved this chapter! This "Rule Number 6" is so applicable to every profession. How many times have we seen teachers with seniority in our lovely administrative meetings that are questioning, complaining, and even fighting change. Most of the complaints are "there is not enough time to learn", "why do we have to implement this?", or "They (the implementors) have nothing better to do, but give us more work".  This also ties into what Ron Smith was saying in his interview with Holly Ludgate, how it is hard to convince teachers that the preparation invested in their lesson planning makes it easier for them in the long run.

There are so many teachers at the school that I teach that resist change and take themselves so seriously, that they forgot the real purpose of our jobs and that is to teach. And, just like the students change over time, so do their learning styles, therefore so should our teaching styles (or approaches). I would really consider sharing this chapter with my CRT (Curriculum Resource Teacher) and possibly implement "Rule Number 6" at my school. :-) 

Source of Photo: http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.reply-mc.com/wp-content/Number_Six.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.reply-mc.com/2007/12/06/always-remember-rule-number-6/&usg=__Q8l9N3LPldIP1f3cCA729u-dEeI=&h=723&w=511&sz=19&hl=en&start=2&tbnid=Qfnh3kRNkNl1sM:&tbnh=140&tbnw=99&prev=/images%3Fq%3DRule%2BNumber%2B6%26gbv%3D2%26hl%3Den

2 comments:

  1. I am a teacher without senority that is constantly questioning change. I guess I'm just scared, but I'm that pain in the a-- that is groaning in the corner. This program is helping me through that, though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think we all go through the same thing: Dealing with teachers who are resistant to change. What I try to remember is that those educators do not determine how I will educate my students. As our students change, we have to change and evolve with them. 20th century teaching techniques will not work with 21 century students. We have to change and grow with them.

    ReplyDelete